Many people enjoy using candles in their homes. Perhaps you use them all year long, or you mostly use them during the cooler season to make a cozy atmosphere. Whatever the case may be, make sure to use candles safely. Many house fires are started each year because of candles.
It has been advised to trim the wick of your candle down to ¼” before lighting it for the first time so the flame doesn’t get too big. Place your candle on a solid surface where it cannot be easily knocked over by kids or pets. Do not place it near a drafty window or a fan. Do not place it near anything flammable such as curtains or books. Never leave a candle burning unattended. If you leave the room, extinguish the candle. And do not ever fall asleep with a candle burning.
If you use a match to light the candle, dispose of it properly. Let it cool on a heat-resistant surface or run it under water before throwing it into the trash can. A warm match can ignite materials, especially flammable ones.